A History of the End of the World: How the Most by Jonathan Kirsch
By Jonathan Kirsch
"[The e-book of] Revelation has served as a "language arsenal" in a very good the various social, cultural, and political conflicts in Western heritage. many times, Revelation has stirred a few harmful women and men to behave out their very own deepest apocalypses. specifically, the ethical calculus of Revelation—the demonization of one's enemies, the sanctification of revenge taking, and the thought that heritage needs to result in catastrophe—can be detected in a number of the worst atrocities and excesses of all ages, together with our personal. For all of those purposes, the remainder of us forget about the e-book of Revelation basically at our impoverishment and, extra to the purpose, at our personal peril."
The mysterious writer of the e-book of Revelation (or the Apocalypse, because the final ebook of the recent testomony is additionally identified) by no means thought of that his sermon at the imminent finish occasions might final past his personal existence. in reality, he envisioned that the destruction of the earth will be witnessed by way of his contemporaries. but Revelation not just outlived its writer; this bright and violent revenge fable has performed an important position within the march of Western civilization.
Ever because Revelation used to be first preached because the published observe of Jesus Christ, it has haunted and encouraged hearers and readers alike. The mark of the beast, the Antichrist, 666, the Whore of Babylon, Armageddon, and the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse are only some of the photos, words, and codes that experience burned their means into the material of our tradition. The questions raised cross immediately to the center of the human worry of dying and obsession with the afterlife. do we, separately or jointly, trip off to glory, or do we drown in hellfire for all eternity? As those that most sensible manage this darkish imaginative and prescient realized, which aspect we fall on is usually a subject of lifestyles or loss of life. Honed right into a weapon within the ongoing tradition wars among states, religions, and citizenry, Revelation has considerably altered the process background.
Kirsch, whom the Washington Post calls "a superb storyteller with an inherent ability for rendering old stories suitable and beautiful to trendy audiences," grants a far-ranging, unique, and surprising historical past of this scandalous publication, which was once approximately lower from the hot testomony. From the autumn of the Roman Empire to the Black dying, the Inquisition to the Protestant Reformation, the recent international to the increase of the spiritual correct, this chronicle of the use and abuse of the publication of Revelation tells the story of the unfolding of historical past and the hopes, fears, goals, and nightmares of all humanity.
Read Online or Download A History of the End of the World: How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization PDF
Best christianity books
The HarperCollins Bible Dictionary, revised and up to date variation, is the main whole, up to date, and obtainable consultant for the learn of the Bible to be had this present day. With greater than 4,000 energetic, informative, and reader-friendly entries, this crucial reference publication presents the entire details you must comprehend the Bible.
This quantity explores the legacy of the Dutch theologian and statesman Abraham Kuyper for modern Christian ecotheology. a vital challenge in ecotheology is the way to do justice to either construction and salvation as acts of God, given the influence of the environmental obstacle and the fear for production (as creatura).
This publication describes Martin Bucer (1491-1551) as a instructor of theology, concentrating on his time as Regius Professor of Divinity on the college of Cambridge among 1549 and 1551. The publication is situated on his 1550 Cambridge lectures on Ephesians, and investigates them of their historic context, exploring what kind of a theologian Bucer was once.
Violence has been a relevant function of America’s historical past, tradition, and position on the earth. It has taken many kinds: from state-sponsored makes use of of strength comparable to conflict or legislation enforcement, to revolution, secession, terrorism and different activities with vital political and cultural implications. faith additionally holds a vital position within the American event of violence, fairly if you happen to have came upon order and which means of their worlds via spiritual texts, symbols, rituals, and ideas.
- Protestants: A History from Wittenberg to Pennsylvania 1517 - 1740
- In Defense of Conciliar Christology: A Philosophical Essay (Oxford Studies in Analytic Theology)
- On the Run (Left Behind: The Kids #10)
- Twentieth-Century Theologians: A New Introduction to Modern Christian Thought
- Apocalypticism, Anti-Semitism and the Historical Jesus: Subtexts in Criticism (The Library of New Testament Studies)
Additional resources for A History of the End of the World: How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization
This verse is freely quoted by Clemens Alex. in Eclog. , ed. Sylburg, p. —4. Cf. note on 7:6. 9. Surjan and Urjan are Suriel and Uriel, four of the highest angels. ) know of Michael and Gabriel, but Suriel and especially Uriel are well known in later rabbinical theology as HTR; cf. g. Talm. Babyl. Berachoth, fol. 51ª. Generally, however, these four are Michael, Gabriel, Uriel, and Raphael; cf. Buxtorf, Lex. p. 27; and Syncellus gives this passage twice with these last names, and undoubtedly correctly.
11. And the spirits of the giants, who cast themselves upon the clouds, will be destroyed and fall, and will battle and cause destruction on the earth, and do evil; they will take no kind of food, nor will they become thirsty, and they will be invisible. 12. ) rise up against the children of men and against the women, because they have proceeded from them. In the days of murder and destruction. C HAP. —and of the death of the giants, when the spirits have proceeded from the bodies, their flesh shall decay without judgment; thus they shall be destroyed till that day when the great judgment over all the great world shall be completed over the watchers and the impious.
7. ” 8. And the vision appeared to me thus: behold, clouds in the vision invited me and a fog invited me; and the course of the stars and lightning drove and pressed me, and the winds in the vision gave me wings and drove me. 9. And they lifted me up into heaven, and I went till I approached near a wall which was built of crystals and a tongue of fire surrounded it; and it began to cause me to fear. 10. And I went into the tongue of fire and approached near to a large house, which was built of crystals, and the walls of this house were like a floor inlaid with crystals, and the groundwork was of crystals.