Refuge and Reality: Feuchtwanger and the European Emigres in by Pol O?Dochartaigh
By Pol O?Dochartaigh
This quantity brings jointly papers by way of students from Germany, america, France, England and eire given on the first overseas Feuchtwanger convention, held in l. a. in 2003. a few of Lion Feuchtwanger’s novels from his exile within the usa are analyzed the following, as are the lives of Lion and Marta Feuchtwanger and their contacts within the German émigré global in California. furthermore, papers concentrate on elements of Bertolt Brecht’s and Alfred Döblin’s lives as emigrants in California. This quantity is of curiosity to scholars of exile reports, of German safe haven within the united states and of contemporary German literature.
Read Online or Download Refuge and Reality: Feuchtwanger and the European Emigres in California (German Monitor 61) PDF
Best pop culture books
Did Eisenhower steer clear of a showdown with Stalin through no longer taking Berlin sooner than the Soviets? What may have occurred if JFK hadn't been assassinated? This new quantity within the greatly praised sequence provides attention-grabbing "what if. .. " situations by means of such favourite historians as: Robert Dallek, Caleb Carr, Antony Beevor, John Lukacs, Jay Winick, Thomas Fleming, Tom Wicker, Theodore Rabb, Victor David Hansen, Cecelia Holland, Andrew Roberts, Ted Morgan, George Feifer, Robert L.
Sound and Music in movie and visible Media: A serious Overview is a accomplished paintings defining and encapsulating strategies, concerns and purposes in and round the use of sound in movie and the cinema, media/broadcast and new media. Over thirty definitive full-length essays, that are associated through highlighted textual content and reference fabric, assemble unique examine via the various world's most sensible students during this rising box.
Land rights, welfare and tradition have locked aborigines out of the great lifestyles. Land has turn into a burden, welfare has turn into disabling, undesirable behaviour is unsuitable for tradition. there's a manner out. Aborigines needs to abide via an identical principles as any other Australian — hunt down possibilities, examine tough, and unfastened themselves from a tradition of undesirable behaviour.
This booklet lines the development of cosmopolitanism from the non-public event of a bunch of artists and intellectuals who lived and labored in Boston among 1865 and 1915 to complete works of huge paintings that formed public house.
- How Canadians Communicate III: Contexts of Canadian Popular Culture
- The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology (Second Edition)
- Sells like Teen Spirit: Music, Youth Culture, and Social Crisis
- Federalizing the Muse: United States Arts Policy and the National Endowment for the Arts, 1965-1980
- Homo Academicus
- Play Culture in a Changing World (Debating Play)
Additional resources for Refuge and Reality: Feuchtwanger and the European Emigres in California (German Monitor 61)
388. 698. 407. 600. 21 See Peter N. Carroll and David W. Noble, The Free and the Unfree. 192. 407. 209). 699. 25 Ibid. 77. 208-09. 9. 403. 144-45. 404. 183-84. 409-10. 388. 35 Ibid. 36 41 Harold von Hofe, ‘Lion Feuchtwanger and America’, in John M. , Lion Feuchtwanger. 3350 (here 42). 410. This page intentionally left blank Ian Wallace Hangmen also die. Varieties of Collaboration Hangmen also die (1943) is generally regarded today as one of the most important anti-Nazi films to come out of Hollywood.
9 ‚Thraenen der Tochter Jephte’, in: Christian Hofmann von Hofmannswaldau, Gesammelte Werke, Hg. Franz Heiduk, Hildesheim-Zürich-New York: Georg Olms, 1984, Bd. I/2, S. 18 . 10 Giacomo Carissimi, ‚Jephte’, in: Giacomo Carissimi. Jephte/Jonas/Judicum Extremum. A. 1990. Beiheft, S. 56. 11 In: Lord Byron, The Complete Poetical Works, Hg. Jerome J. McGann, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1981, Volume III, S. 294. 12 Das Buch der Richter, 4:21. 13 Tanja Kinkel, Naemi, Ester, Raquel und Ja´ala. Väter, Töchter, Machtmenschen und Judentum bei Lion Feuchtwanger, Bonn: Bouvier, 1998, S.
192. 407. 209). 699. 25 Ibid. 77. 208-09. 9. 403. 144-45. 404. 183-84. 409-10. 388. 35 Ibid. 36 41 Harold von Hofe, ‘Lion Feuchtwanger and America’, in John M. , Lion Feuchtwanger. 3350 (here 42). 410. This page intentionally left blank Ian Wallace Hangmen also die. Varieties of Collaboration Hangmen also die (1943) is generally regarded today as one of the most important anti-Nazi films to come out of Hollywood. Besides exploring the troubled collaboration between Fritz Lang and Bertolt Brecht during the making of the film, this chapter focuses on its depiction of the underground resistance in Prague following the assassination of the Reichsprotektor, Reinhard Heydrich.