The Cartoon Guide to Genetics (Updated Edition) by Larry Gonick
By Larry Gonick
Have you ever requested yourself:
Are spliced genes kind of like mended Levis?
Watson and Crick? aren't they a workforce of British detectives?
Plant intercourse? Can they do that?
Is Genetic Mutation the identify of 1 of these heavy steel bands?
Asparagine? Which of the 4 meals teams is that in?
Then you wish The comic strip consultant to Genetics to give an explanation for the real recommendations of classical and smooth genetics—it's not just academic, it is humorous too!
Read or Download The Cartoon Guide to Genetics (Updated Edition) PDF
Similar genetics books
John Avise offers a evaluation of latest molecular biology that is rather available to the 'lay' reader with a few earlier publicity to the final zone of evolutionary-genetics. The discussions are just a little philosophically charged (i. e. they don't stay unavoidably technical) and comment on social, emotional, and theological matters too.
The hot literature on complete genome sequences offers considerable proof for the motion of traditional genetic engineering in evolution. Discoveries approximately common genetic engineering have coincided with speedy growth in our knowing of epigenetic regulate and RNA-directed chromatin formation. particular consciousness has to be paid to the position of viruses and similar so-called "parasitic" components within the foundation of genome formatting and ordinary genetic engineering functions specially the position of non-random genetic swap operators within the construction of advanced evolutionary innovations.
"Wright's perspectives approximately inhabitants genetics and evolution are so basic and so entire that each severe scholar needs to research those books firsthand. . . . e-book of this treatise is an important occasion in evolutionary biology. "-Daniel L. Hartl, BioScience
- TALENs: Methods and Protocols (Methods in Molecular Biology)
- Dictionary of DNA and Genome Technology
- Human Genes and Genomes: Science, Health, Society
- Atlas of X-Linked Intellectual Disability Syndromes
- Genetic Aberrancies and Neurodegenerative Disorders
- Master Control Genes in Development and Evolution: The Homeobox Story (The Terry Lectures Series)
Extra resources for The Cartoon Guide to Genetics (Updated Edition)
Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 81, 4275–4279. McGhee, J. D. and von Hippel, P. H. (1975) Formaldehyde as a probe of DNA structure. I. Reaction with exocyclic amino groups of DNA bases. Biochemistry 14, 1281–1296. McGhee, J. D. and von Hippel P. H. (1975) Formaldehyde as a probe of DNA structure. II. Reaction with endocyclic imino groups of DNA bases. Biochemistry 14, 1297–1303. Orlando, V. and Paro, R. (1993) Mapping Polycomb-repressed domains in the bithorax complex using in vivo formaldehyde cross-linked chromatin.
1. as follows: 1. Supplement the nuclear digest buffer with 250 mM sucrose. 2. Digest K562 nuclei at 5 mg/mL (DNA) using 300 U micrococcal nuclease (MNase)/mg DNA at 20°C for 2–5 min. The length of time and level of enzyme will vary considerably depending on cell type (see Note 1). 5 mM spermidine for magnesium chloride in preparation and digestion buffers to stabilize the nuclei (15) and minimize endonuclease and protease digestion. 3. Salt Fractionation Active sequences in a micrococcal nuclease-generated chromatin preparation can be enriched by salt precipitation of the H1/H5-containing chromatin (16,17).
1999). A developmental switch in H4 acetylation upstream of Xist plays a role in X chromosome inactivation. EMBO J. 18, 2897–2907. 13. , Cooke, N. , and Liebhaber, S. A. (2000). Targeted recruitment of histone acetyltransferase activity to a locus control region. J. Biol. Chem. 275, 13,827–13,834. 14. , Liebhaber, S. , and Cooke, N. E. (2000). Patterns of histone 14 acetylation suggest dual pathways for gene activation by a bifunctional locus control region. EMBO J. 19, 6814–6822. 15. Hewish, D.